NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED. ENTRY IN THIS CONTEST CONSTITUTES YOUR ACCEPTANCE OF THESE OFFICIAL RULES.
The Smart EMMA Competition (the “Contest”) is proposing participants to come up with new and innovative ways to monitor and manage use of energy in homes and small businesses (“Entrant(s)” or “You”). Judges will choose the winning entries, and prizes will be awarded in accordance with these Official Rules (the“Rules”).
1. BINDING AGREEMENT: In order to enter the Contest, you must agree to the Rules. Therefore, please read these Rules prior to entry to ensure you understand and agree. You agree that submission of an entry in the Contest constitutes agreement to these Rules. You may not submit an entry to the Contest and are not eligible to receive the prizes described in these Rules unless you agree to these Rules. These Rules form a binding legal agreement between you and Fab Connections with respect to the Contest.
2. ELIGIBILITY: To be eligible to enter the Contest, an Entrant must be working in, with or for a Fab Lab listed on the fablab.oi website, and be of legal age to enter, where applicable and according to local jurisdiction and law.
3. SPONSOR: The Contest is sponsored by AXPO Italia SpA (“AXPO” or “The Sponsor”) Located at via Albareto 21, 16153 Genoa Italy P.IVA 01141160992
4. CONTEST PERIOD: The Contest begins on December 31th, 2014 12pm Eastern Time (ET) Zone and ends on September 20th, 2015, 11:59pm Eastern Time (ET) Zone (“Contest Period”). All dates are subject to change.
5. HOW TO ENTER: NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. To enter the Contest, visit the Contest website located at fabconnections.com/SmartEMMA (“Contest Site”) during the Contest Period and follow the instructions that appear on the “Join the contest” tab. You will be requested to download and complete a one-page official entry form (“Entry Form”).
6. PROJECT REQUIREMENTS: To enter the Contest, Entrant(s) must provide the following information via previously explained means. Project brief and motivation (~1.000 words). Bio and profile of the team submitting the project. Pictures, videos and multimedia materials describing the project idea. Digital files for electronics design in Eagle format. Digital files for any digitally manufactured part. Complete bill of materials, including supplier information for all parts.
7. JUDGING: Level One: Winners preselection, June 2015: Fab Connections will, in collaboration with the Sponsor, select 10 projects that will continue to be eligible for the final selection and will continue to compete for the prizes. Level Two: First, second and third place selection, September 2015: A scientific committee specially constituted for the Contest will select 3 prize winners, and award the prizes as described in this document. Notification of 10 Finalists: The 10 projects that will be selected for judging by the final committee will be posted on the Contest Site not later than the 20st of June 2015, and Entrants will receive a confirmation of this selection by e-mail no later than 10 days after the update on the Contest Site. Notification of Winners: winners will be notified by Fab Connections no later than the 5th of October 2015, via e-mail, and will receive a written confirmation of this notification by post in the following week.
8. PRIZES: Winners will be awarded prizes in the form of machines of a approximate value of: 6000,- (six thousand) euro’s for the first (1st) prize winner, 4000,- (four thousand) euro’s for the second (2nd) prize winner and 2000,- (two thousand) euro’s for the third (3rd) prize winner. Fab Connections may choose to alter brand, type and size of the prizes allocated to the winners, but not the overall value.
9. GENERAL CONDITIONS: All local laws and regulations apply. Fab Connections reserves the right to disqualify any Entrant from the Contest if, in Fab Connection’s sole discretion, it reasonably believes that the Entrant has attempted to undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest by cheating, deception, or other unfair playing practices or annoys, abuses, threatens or harasses any other entrants, Fab Connections, the Sponsor or the Judges.
10. INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS: The rights and intellectual property of any and all information included in the projects submitted for entry in the Contest belong to the Entrant. All entries must be released with an OSI approved open source license, allowing any individual to access and exploit the project results for personal use. Participants might select to limit the commercial exploitation of their project. Entrants agree to not use any part of the project submitted for commercial gain other than in collaboration with the Sponsor or Fab Connections, unless said parties issue a written agreement to allow the cession of rights to the Entrant.
11. PRIVACY: Entrants agree and acknowledge that personal data submitted with an entry, including name, mailing address, phone number, and email address may be collected, processed, stored and otherwise used by Fab Connections and its affiliates for the purposes of conducting and administering the Contest. Individuals submitting personal information in connection with the Contest have the right to request access, review, rectification or deletion of any personal data held by Fab Connections in connection with the Contest by writing to Fab Connections at the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org
12. PUBLICITY: By entering the Contest, Entrants agree to participate in any media or promotional activity resulting from the Contest as reasonably requested by Fab Connection and/or the Sponsor’s expense and agree and consent to use of their name and/or likeness by Fab Connections. Fab Connections and/or the Sponsor will contact Entrants in advance of any sponsored media request for interviews or media outings.
13. WARRANTY AND INDEMNITY: All projects submitted should entirely be a creation of the proponent and/or the proponent should have received a license or relies on a public license on all third party technology (including software) required to implement and exploit the project. If applicable, a full list and a description of said third parties elements, including the upstream license of those elements, and that said licenses permit downstream licensing, under the conditions applied to the project, should be provided.
14. ELIMINATION: Any false information provided within the context of the Contest by Entrant concerning identity, mailing address, telephone number, email address, ownership of right or non-compliance with these Rules or the like may result in the immediate elimination of the entrant from the Contest.
15. DISCLAIMER: Fab Connections is not responsible for any malfunction of the entire Contest Site or any late, lost, damaged, misdirected, incomplete, illegible, undeliverable, or destroyed projects or votes due to system errors, failed, incomplete or garbled computer or other telecommunication transmission malfunctions, hardware or software failures of any kind, lost or unavailable network connections, typographical or system/human errors and failures, technical malfunction(s) of any telephone network or lines, cable connections, satellite transmissions, servers or providers, or computer equipment, traffic congestion on the Internet or at the Contest Site, or any combination thereof, including other telecommunication, cable, digital or satellite malfunctions which may limit Entrant’s/consumer’s ability to participate/vote respectively. Fab Connections is not responsible for the policies, actions, or inactions of others, which might prevent Entrant from entering, participating, and/or claiming a prize in this Contest. Sponsor’s failure to enforce any term of these Rules will not constitute a waiver of that or any other provision. Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify Entrants who violate the rules or interfere with this Contest in any manner. If an Entrant is disqualified, Sponsor reserves the right to terminate that Entrant’s eligibility to participate in the Contest.
16. RIGHT TO CANCEL, MODIFY OR DISQUALIFY: If for any reason the Contest is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of the Contest, Fab Connections reserves the right at its sole discretion to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Contest. Fab Connections further reserves the right to disqualify any Entrant who tampers with the submission process or any other part of the Contest or Contest Site. Any attempt by an Entrant to deliberately damage any web site, including the Contest Site, or undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest is a violation of criminal and civil laws and should such an attempt be made, Fab Connections reserves the right to seek damages from any such Entrant to the fullest extent of the applicable law.
17. NOT AN OFFER OR CONTRACT OF EMPLOYMENT: Under no circumstances shall the submission of a project into the Contest, the awarding of a prize, or anything in these Rules be construed as an offer or contract of employment with either Fab Connections, or the Contest Entities. Entrants acknowledge that they submitted their project voluntarily and not in confidence or in trust. Entrants acknowledge that no confidential, fiduciary, agency or other relationship or implied-in-fact contract now exists between Entrant and Fab Connections or the Contest Entities and that no such relationship is established by Entrant’s submission of a project under these Rules.